Innovation Center Director Shares Insights with Capital Region Healthcare Leaders
HANYS, in partnership with CDPHP, was pleased to co-sponsor a July 13 forum featuring Adam Boehler, director of the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Innovation (more commonly known as The Innovation Center), and senior adviser for value-based transformation and innovation for U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS).
At the forum, Mr. Boehler discussed his vision for The Innovation Center and value-based reform. He also engaged in a Q&A session with the forum’s audience of healthcare leaders and government officials.
Mr. Boehler was named to his Innovation Center role in April 2018; just days after his visit to Albany, he was tapped by HHS Secretary Alex Azar to steer value-based care efforts. Value-based transformation and innovation is one of Secretary Azar’s four key departmental priorities.
Forum Addresses VBP; Social Determinants of Health
During his remarks, Mr. Boehler spoke about the move toward risk-based contracting and the need to take stock of what has worked to date, as well as what hasn’t. He suggested the value-based payment (VBP) model will be more successful when there is more downside risk; however, he also acknowledged the challenges the VBP model presents to some providers.
Mr. Boehler also spoke about the importance of human services and the social determinants of health, and how they should be better incorporated in future payment models.
HANYS and Members to Continue Partnering in Innovation and Transformation
Established under the Affordable Care Act to develop and test Medicare and Medicaid payment methodologies and service delivery models, The Innovation Center’s ultimate goals are to improve the quality of patient care, lower costs, and move toward value-based reimbursement.
The work of The Innovation Center is important to New York’s healthcare providers and HANYS. Hospitals and health systems statewide have broad participation in Innovation Center programs, whether through payment bundling, accountable care organizations, primary care initiatives, or best practices initiatives.
HANYS and our members look forward to continuing our work to advance healthcare delivery. HANYS appreciates Mr. Boehler’s willingness to share his insight and engage with healthcare leaders from the Capital Region, of which he is a native.
To learn more about Mr. Boehler’s recent visit, read: “Healthcare Powerhouse Stops by CDPHP.”
- New York’s surprise billing law works. The nation can learn from it.
- Embracing technology: “Platforms” in healthcare
- Keeping an eye on coverage
- Update on current measles activity in New York
- Continued threats to healthcare require our constant advocacy
- Some cuts never heal: Healthcare workers urge New York’s legislators to reject funding cuts
- New reports: See how hospitals impact their local communities
- Tech and healthcare: What move should Apple make next?
- Public policy forum recap: Addressing the social determinants of health
- Consumers Need Better (Not More) Information to Make Healthcare Decisions
- Rural Hospitals Under Pressure: They Need Our Support
- Laying the Foundation for a Constructive Discussion of Healthcare in 2019
- Midterms Highlighted the Need to Work Together to Improve Healthcare
- Healthcare is #1 Issue in the Mid-term Elections
- Boston Globe Says No to Staffing Ratios
- A Step Forward in Combating the Opioid Crisis
- Short-term Health Plans are Cheap, but They’re No Bargain
- Hospitals Improve Health by Helping Patients Enroll in Health Insurance
- VBP Alphabet Soup: So Many Recipes - What's the Secret Sauce?
- New York’s Impressive Healthcare Track Record
- When Guns Get into Hospitals: How Hospitals Protect Employees, Patients, and Visitors from Gun Violence
- Innovation Center Director Shares Insights with Capital Region Healthcare Leaders
- Is Single Payer the Answer?
- Mandated Nurse Staffing Ratios are the Wrong Approach to Patient Safety
- Gotta Know the Rules
- Protecting a Vision
- Say YES to Healthcare Stabilization
- Healthcare Shortfall Fund is Prudent Planning
Don't Miss a Post
Receive notifications when HANYS publishes new posts.