🔍 📞 🔍
Main Menu
Sign into your HANYS account


Check public health agency websites for the most current guidance

Staff Management

Supporting Staff


Options for Emergency Childcare for Essential Health Care Workers during COVID-19 Pandemic

For hospitals seeking to offer their own emergency child care:

Hospitals can also offer their employees access to the following options:

Hospitals located throughout New York State

  • Hospitals can work with childcare resource and referral agencies in their region to find additional care for children. Additionally, the Office of Child and Family Services (OCFS) has created a parent need for child care survey for parents or caregivers who need child care. Based upon the information provided in the survey, OCFS staff may be able to help parents and caregivers find the child care program they need.
  • Through its Child Care Funds/Child Care Corporation, 1199 SEIU is working to identify open childcare slots for healthcare workers by working directly with 1199 members, League of Voluntary Hospital institutions, and its partner organizations. Contact (212) 564-2220 or visit 1199seiubenefits.org for more information.
  • Many local YMCAs are also currently offering emergency childcare. Contact Kyle Stewart at kstewart@ymcanys.org or go to www.emergencychildcareny.org for more information.
  • KinderCare Centers are currently offering childcare services to healthcare workers at several of their locations. Go to https://www.kindercare.com/ for more information.

Hospitals located in New York City

  • Regional Enrichment Centers (REC)
    • RECs are open from 7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. (Monday-Friday). They are staffed by Department of Education employees and community-based organization partners, and will provide children with three daily hot meals, remote learning time with their teachers, activities like art, music, and physical education, and social and emotional support. In addition to centers for students in grades K-12, the Dept. of Education is working with child care centers and family child care providers to serve infants, toddlers, and preschool-aged children. Go to: https://www.schools.nyc.gov/enrollment/enrollment-help/regional-enrichment-centers for more information.
    • Hospitals should advise their healthcare employees that if their child is a New York City resident and would like to enroll in one of these centers, the employee should complete this REC Enrollment Form for each child seeking to be enrolled. The employee will then receive an email confirming the child's center assignment Families can expect to hear back from the Department of Education within 48 hours. For additional questions, the employee can contact the Department at rec_enrollment@schools.nyc.gov.
    • Hospital employees who wish to volunteer at a REC should use this form.
  • The City University of New York (CUNY) is also offering child care services for health care workers.

Hospitals located in or near Buffalo, New York

These links and resources were compiled by HANYS from a variety of sources and should be used for informational purposes only. Please be advised that HANYS is not responsible for the accuracy, legality or content of the external sites or for that of subsequent links.