The Healthcare Association of New York State and Healthcare Trustees of New York State support and are committed to raising awareness about the need for life-saving organ donations through policy, advocacy and other activities.
We encourage New Yorkers to take just five minutes to join the New York State Donate Life Registry—it’s fast, easy and user-friendly. Read the NYS Health Commissioner’s Call-to-Action Letter to Hospital/Health System Leaders.
Facts about Organ, Eye and Tissue Donation
- Nearly 9,000 New Yorkers are currently waiting for a life-saving organ transplant.
- On average, approximately 500 of those awaiting a transplant will die before a donor becomes available.
- One organ donor can save up to eight lives, and one tissue donor can enhance the quality of life for up to 75 people!
- Anyone age 16 years and over can sign up to donate life, regardless of age.
- There are no medical restrictions that prevent you becoming a donor – medical criteria at the time of donation will determine what is transplantable.
- Cornea transplants have been successful for more than 100 years.
- Organ transplants have been successful for more than 50 years.