Aug. 1, 2023
HANYS releases task force-led “Advancing Health Equity” resources, new interactive tool
New guide, compendium and interactive tool offer recommendations and resources for addressing health disparities.
The Healthcare Association of New York State’s member-driven Health Equity Task Force released two new resources to help hospitals and health systems advance health equity and address health disparities.
HANYS also encourages members to explore our latest interactive tool, developed to help members meet emerging regulatory and accreditation requirements.
Task force publications
The HANYS Health Equity Task Force Priorities: Quick Guide covers compelling reasons for healthcare leaders to invest in advancing health equity, including:
- better patient outcomes;
- regulatory compliance;
- improved financial outlook; and
- recognition as a reliable partner in the community.
The guide also walks through the following three foundational focus areas to address health equity:
- collecting and using data to improve health equity: Z codes;
- culturally appropriate care; and
- community engagement.
Stories from HANYS members (MediSys Health Network, Rochester Regional Health and University of Rochester Medical Center) provide examples of work in these areas.
The Culturally Appropriate Care Compendium, prepared by the HANYS Health Equity Task Force’s Culturally Appropriate Care subgroup, explores four recommended steps to ensure organizations are providing culturally appropriate care:
- completing a Community Health Needs Assessment to understand your community;
- recruiting and supporting a culturally diverse workforce;
- developing and implementing policies that support culturally appropriate care; and
- investing in a complaint/grievance process that supports cultural diversity.
The HANYS Health Equity Task Force consists of 118 individuals representing more than 65 hospitals and health systems across New York state. We thank our task force members for the time and expertise lent to develop these resources.
New interactive tool
HANYS’ new Health Equity crosswalk provides a single reference point for a variety of federal government and national hospital equity measures, standards and requirements. Specifically, this tool reviews:
- CMS health equity measures;
- Joint Commission Healthcare Disparities Reduction and Patient-Centered Communication Accreditation Standards; and
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Office of Minority Health National Standards for Culturally and Linguistically Appropriate Services in Health and Healthcare
Learn more about HANYS’ health equity work and educational programming on our website.
The Healthcare Association of New York State is New York’s statewide hospital and continuing care association, representing nonprofit and public hospitals, nursing homes, home care agencies and other healthcare organizations. HANYS is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to advance the health of individuals and communities by providing leadership, representation and service to healthcare providers and systems across the entire continuum of care.