In collaboration with our members, community based organizations and other institutions and leaders, HANYS is committed to systematically and intentionally closing economic, racial and health gaps in every New York community. HANYS believes that closing these gaps will enable every individual to achieve optimal health through the delivery of equitable health services.
HANYS continues to take a strong, unwavering stance against any form of racism, bias and all forms of discrimination.
HANYS efforts to achieve health equity include:
- encouraging the adoption of diversity, equity and inclusion laws, policies and best practices;
- engaging with state and federal lawmakers to eliminate and prevent laws, policies and regulations that exacerbate health inequities;
- leading work groups and educational sessions on topics such as: understanding and addressing biases, social determinants of health, health disparities and inequities;
- collaborating with members and strategic partners on targeted strategies and solutions that enhance health outcomes for excluded or marginalized groups;
- supporting opportunities to enhance leadership and representation of underserved populations within the healthcare workforce and on our boards; and
- assisting with the development and dissemination of health disparities-focused research.
Through these efforts, we seek to achieve meaningful and measurable gains in health outcomes for all New Yorkers.
Health Equity member spotlights
- Hospital for Special Surgery mitigates musculoskeletal conditions
- UVMHN – Elizabethtown Community Hospital secures healthy food for its community
- NYC Health + Hospitals/Lincoln targets asthma-related ED usage
- WMCHealth sustains community health and wellness amid the coronavirus pandemic
- Turning the Tide: Understanding and Eliminating Minority Health Disparities - Jan. 13 - July 13, 2021
- The Language of Bias - April 14, 2021
- Turning the Tide: Understanding and Eliminating Minority Health Disparities: Serving Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Patients Amid and Beyond COVID-19 - March 9,2021
- Turning the Tide: Understanding and Eliminating Minority Health Disparities: Community-engaged Strategies to Address COVID-19 Vaccine Hesitancy and Mitigate Health Disparities in Minority Populations - February 9, 2021
- Bias in healthcare: Explore person-centered solutions in new series - April 9, 2021
- COVID-19 and reproductive health disparities webinar April 13 - April 2, 2021
- HANYS awarded Mother Cabrini Health Foundation grant to address bias and disparities in healthcare - March 19, 2021