June 18, 2021 News Headlines
- Ellenville Regional Hospital’s Steve Kelley earns Grassroots Champion Award
- HANYS applauds Supreme Court decision to uphold ACA
- NY Delegation members sign on to HANYS-supported letter on No Surprises Act
- State legislative activity
- Big numbers tackle pressing issues at HANYS 52nd Annual Membership Conference
- CDC updates guidance for COVID-19 patient care
- Research highlighting COVID-19 health disparities explored in symposium
- WCB: Important updates to Forms C-8.1 and C-8.4
- Access new WCB OnBoard: Limited Release resources
- Spotlight on Mather Hospital
- Upcoming events
Ellenville Regional Hospital’s Steve Kelley earns Grassroots Champion Award
As the 2021 New York state honoree, Kelley is being recognized for his effective, persistent advocacy on HANYS and AHA priorities before Congress.
HANYS applauds Supreme Court decision to uphold ACA
This historic and now foundational law has provided health coverage to more than 20 million Americans, guaranteed coverage for individuals with pre-existing conditions, allowed young adults to stay on a parent’s health plan and decreased the number of people who are uninsured. With the ACA as a more permanent backdrop, HANYS will continue our work to ensure all New Yorkers have comprehensive access to high-quality healthcare.
NY Delegation members sign on to HANYS-supported letter on No Surprises Act
Led by Reps. Tom Suozzi (D-NY) and Brad Wenstrup (R-Ohio), the bipartisan letter asks key departments to ensure that forthcoming rulemaking reflects a balanced process to settle payment disputes between health plans and providers, as Congress intended.
State legislative activity
This week, the following chapter amendments were signed into law:
- Residential healthcare facility request for transfer (Chapter 138 of 2021)
- Residential healthcare facility CON applicants (Chapter 141 of 2021)
- Standards for preventing occupational exposure to airborne diseases (Chapter 142 of 2021)
The following bills were recently delivered to Gov. Cuomo, with action due today:
- Hospital clinical staffing committees (A.108-B / S.1168-A)
- Mandated nursing home staffing levels (A.7119 / S.6346)
View our summary chart for a complete list of bills of interest that have passed both houses during the 2021 legislative session, which has ended. We will provide a more comprehensive summary of bills of significant interest to HANYS’ members soon.
Big numbers tackle pressing issues at HANYS 52nd Annual Membership Conference
Thanks to everyone who made this year’s annual conference a success! With more than 40% growth in attendance since 2019, it’s clear that staying on top of healthcare issues is top of mind for our members. Explore all our educational opportunities on the topics that matter most to you, offered year-round, on our website.
CDC updates guidance for COVID-19 patient care
The guidance, updated June 14, covers evaluation and care, clinical considerations and patient history and exams for patients with COVID-19 and post-COVID-19 conditions.
Research highlighting COVID-19 health disparities explored in symposium
The research, conducted by UAlbany, was used in HANYS’ and UAlbany’s Turning the Tide: Understanding and Eliminating Health Disparities series, and will be the focus of the university’s virtual summer symposium, June 21 and 28.
WCB: Important updates to Forms C-8.1 and C-8.4
The updates, effective immediately, impact the use of Social Security numbers for the Notice of Treatment Issue/Disputed Bill (Form C-8.1) and Notice to Health Care Provider and Injured Worker of a Carrier's Refusal to Pay All (or a Portion of) a Medical Bill Due to Valuation Objection(s) (Form C-8.4). More updates are explored in detail on the WCB website.
Access new WCB OnBoard: Limited Release resources
Spotlight on Mather Hospital
With its new cath lab, Mather Hospital is performing minimally invasive tests and procedures to diagnose and treat cardiovascular conditions — helping patients stay closer to home for cardiac care. Learn more in our Member Spotlight.