October is Patient-Centered Care Awareness Month
October is Patient-Centered Care Awareness Month, a time to reflect on the important role that patients and families play in the delivery of healthcare. Research finds that when patients and their families are engaged members of their own care team, they:
- make more informed decisions;
- are more likely to adopt healthy behaviors;
- report more positive patient experiences; and
- achieve better health outcomes.
HANYS recognizes our members across the state for their dedication to engaging patients and families in their care. We are committed to supporting our members as they continue this important work through our partnership with Planetree International on a statewide Patient Experience Collaborative.
Planetree resources are available online through the 2017 Patient-Centered Care Awareness Month Toolkit, including:
- Invitation to Engage, a call to action written by patient and family advocates for patients and families to describe, in everyday terms, why patient and family engagement matters to everyone;
- Patient Engagement in Research: A Toolkit for Patient-Family Advisory Councils (PFACs), created by PFACs, for PFACs, as part of Planetree's Engagement Award from the Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI);
- the #InvitationtoEngage social media toolkit to support you in being part of the conversation; and
- free bite-sized, on-demand webinars to listen to at your convenience on the important ways patients and families can be a part of charting the course for the future of healthcare.
Contact: Christina Miller-Foster