MedPAC recommends continued telehealth coverage, 2022 payment updates
The Medicare Payment Advisory Commission’s March report to Congress recommended Medicare fee-for-service policies for 2022 including:
- a 2.0% update for inpatient, outpatient and long-term care prospective payment systems;
- an additional 0.8% increase to inpatient hospital payments to replace quality programs with its Hospital Value Incentive Program;
- a 5.0% reduction for home health agencies and inpatient rehabilitation facilities;
- eliminating the update for skilled nursing facilities, ambulatory surgical centers and hospice; and
- updating physician and other health professional services payment rates by the amount specified under current law.
The report also recommends continued coverage of select telehealth services for one to two years after the public health emergency ends to collect data on the impact of telehealth on access, quality and cost. Contact: Melanie Graham