November 2, 2015
Hospital Volunteers Recognized for Commitment to Communities
St. Charles Hospital and Alice Hyde Medical Center Auxiliaries Named HANYS' Auxiliaries of the Year
ALBANY, N.Y.—The auxiliaries of St. Charles Hospital and Alice Hyde Medical Center received the Healthcare Association of New York State (HANYS) 2015 Auxiliary of the Year awards for their invaluable contributions to their healthcare organizations and communities.
“From patient services to greater population outreach, to fundraising campaigns, our hospitals and communities rely on the thousands of volunteer hours provided by healthcare auxilians every year,” said HANYS President Dennis Whalen. “HANYS thanks all our member auxiliaries for your tireless efforts and ongoing commitment to the health of all New Yorkers.”
HANYS established the Auxiliary of the Year Award to recognize the many ways that auxiliaries help strengthen New York State’s healthcare system. This year, the award was presented to two auxiliaries that demonstrated outstanding achievement in community outreach, collaboration and partnerships, advocacy, and new initiatives within their communities. One award was presented to an auxiliary for a healthcare facility with 100 beds or fewer, Alice Hyde Medical Center Auxiliary, and a second award to an auxiliary affiliated with a facility with more than 100 beds, St. Charles Hospital Auxiliary.
Supporting the mission of St. Charles—affirming the sanctity of live, advocating for the poor, and serving the common good—St. Charles Hospital Auxiliary is committed to supporting the critical programs and services of the hospital. Some of the auxiliary’s recent achievements include:
- raising more than $150,000 to support the development of a new pediatric ventilator-dependent unit, the first of its kind in a Long Island hospital;
- collaborating with the hospital, local organizations, and schools to collect and distribute toys to pediatric patients during the holiday season; and
- partnering with Decision Women in Commerce, Kiwanis Club, and Rotary Club to coordinate fundraising and outreach efforts throughout the community.
The auxiliary launched an initiative—dubbed “The Angels of St. Charles” by patients—designed to provide care and support to patients in the hospital’s substance abuse, chemical dependency, and detox units. Auxilians provide handmade accessories, spiritual items needed during recovery, and special requests, such as a chess set, to help patients be comfortable during their stay.
For more than a century, Alice Hyde Medical Center Auxiliary has been providing fundraising, volunteering, community outreach, networking, scholarships, and healthcare advocacy to the medical center. Along with providing more than 8,400 volunteer hours to the hospital in the past year, the auxiliary has also:
- donated $43,000 to fulfill the hospital administrations “wish list” of advanced medical equipment;
- supported medical center staff during the relocation of a nursing home to its new facility; and
- worked with cancer support organizations to host “Let’s Talk Pink,” an evening of cancer-related information and resources.
Recently, the auxiliary expanded the scope of the “Mr. Yuk” Poison Prevention Program by working with area school districts, helping young children recognize household chemicals may be harmful.
This year HANYS received 22 nominations from across the state. Awardees were honored at a ceremony at HANYS’ Annual Institute for Healthcare Auxiliaries and Volunteer Leaders in Albany.
– 30 –
Associate Director, Public and Media Relations
The Healthcare Association of New York State (HANYS) is the only statewide hospital and continuing care association in New York State, representing 500 non-profit and public hospitals, nursing homes, home care agencies, and other health care organizations.