New hospital board member orientation program
11 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
This event is open to HANYS members only.
Healthcare trustees are community members who volunteer their time and expertise to help their hospital or health system fulfill their core mission of caring for and serving the community. Given the rapidly changing healthcare environment — and close scrutiny by regulatory bodies — it is critical that trustees have a strong, basic understanding of the core elements of healthcare governance. This is especially true as most board members come from various professional backgrounds outside of healthcare.
The amount of information that healthcare trustees must learn to effectively fulfill their governance responsibilities can seem overwhelming. To help provide new and current trustees with a comprehensive overview of healthcare governance, HTNYS has developed an orientation program to inform trustees about the fundamental roles and responsibilities of hospital trustees in New York state.
This live, 90-minute virtual orientation program will feature HANYS and HTNYS staff, a leading governance expert and members of the HTNYS Board who will discuss lessons learned from their experience as healthcare trustees. This program is for trustees new to the hospital industry and experienced healthcare trustees in need of a refresher.
- Welcome by HTNYS Board of Governors Chair
- Overview of HANYS, HTNYS and available resources
- A scan of New York state’s providers
- General information and statistics on hospitals, regulatory oversight, licensure and accreditation
- Health system trends
- The role of state and federal government on healthcare payment and policy; association advocacy
- Healthcare governance
- Leading practices
- Board fiduciary duties – Care, loyalty and obedience
- Board stewardship of mission, vision and values
- Governing leadership – Oversight, foresight and insight
- Management vs. governance
- Board room conduct
- Community focus and relationships
- Quality and patient safety
- Role of the board in quality and patient safety
- Overview of key quality measures discussed at the board level; public reporting of measures
- Medical staff credentialing
- Leading practices
- Roundtable discussion with HTNYS Board members and content experts
- Hear insights from veteran board members, including tips and lessons learned from their experience serving on a hospital/system board
- Ask questions of our content experts
- Nicholas Henley, Vice President, External Affairs, HANYS
- Barbara H. Lorsbach, FACHE, President, GHI governWell™
- Christina Miller-Foster, Senior Director, Quality and Research Initiatives, HANYS
- Kristen Phillips, Director, Trustee Education and Community Health Policy, HANYS
- Kathy Rauch, Vice President, Quality Advocacy, Research and Innovation, HANYS
- Robert A. Spolzino, Esq., Chair, HTNYS and Trustee, Board of Overseers, Northwell Health
If you have questions regarding registration, please contact Registration Support at email@example.com or 518.431.7867