Guidelines and Requirements
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Hospital Core Elements of Antibiotic Stewardship
- Long-term Care Facilities Core Elements of Antibiotic Stewardship
Infectious Disease Society of America (IDSA)/Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America (SHEA)
Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS)
- CMS CoPs requiring that hospitals put in place a hospital-wide antibiotic stewardship program (42 Code of Federal Regulations § 482.42) were finalized on Sept. 30, 2019; the changes were initially proposed in June 2016. The CoPs specify that antibiotic stewardship programs must be led by a qualified individual, adhere to nationally recognized guidelines and best practices and reflect the scope and complexity of services provided. Details can be found on page 48 (51779) of the rule.
- CMS finalized a rule requiring an antibiotic stewardship program (483.80), but there is a moratorium until 5/2019.
- CMS Guidance to Surveyors
If a hospital is accredited (check with your hospital for subscription information):