By Thomas Hallisey, Director of Health Information Technology, on Friday, February 8, 2019
On Jan. 15, Jim Cramer, host of CNBC’s “Mad Money,” suggested Apple purchase Epic Systems in order to strengthen its standing in the healthcare arena. Responding to intense feedback (which included the point that Epic founder Judy Faulkner intends to keep the company privately held), Cramer followed up on Jan. 23 to say Apple could instead purchase Cerner.
By Bea Grause, RN, JD, HANYS President, on Wednesday, January 30, 2019
On Jan. 24, HANYS held a special public policy forum to explore the impact of social determinants of health. Anthony Shih, MD, MPH, president of the United Hospital Fund, began the forum by outlining the existing challenges in addressing these many social, environmental, educational and economic factors.
By Courtney Burke, Chief Operating & Innovation Officer, on Monday, December 31, 2018
Hospitals and health systems are eager to ensure patients have access to pricing information that is transparent, clear and useful. Unfortunately, newly updated Medicare price transparency rules that originated with the Affordable Care Act requiring hospitals to post to the internet their standard charges for each item or service they provide, will result in more information, not better information for consumers.
By Bea Grause, RN, JD, HANYS President, on Friday, December 21, 2018
A recent article in The New York Times, “A Sense of Alarm as Rural Hospitals Keep Closing” highlights the implications of rural hospital closures, including diminished access to care in many parts of the country.
By Bea Grause, RN, JD, HANYS President, on Tuesday, December 4, 2018
Exit polls show that healthcare was the driving issue for most Americans in Tuesday’s midterm elections. In fact, twice as many people cited concern about healthcare as any other matter.
- Tech and healthcare: What move should Apple make next?
- Public policy forum recap: Addressing the social determinants of health
- Consumers Need Better (Not More) Information to Make Healthcare Decisions
- Rural Hospitals Under Pressure: They Need Our Support
- Laying the Foundation for a Constructive Discussion of Healthcare in 2019
- Midterms Highlighted the Need to Work Together to Improve Healthcare
- Healthcare is #1 Issue in the Mid-term Elections
- Boston Globe Says No to Staffing Ratios
- A Step Forward in Combating the Opioid Crisis
- Short-term Health Plans are Cheap, but They’re No Bargain
- Hospitals Improve Health by Helping Patients Enroll in Health Insurance
- VBP Alphabet Soup: So Many Recipes - What's the Secret Sauce?
- New York’s Impressive Healthcare Track Record
- When Guns Get into Hospitals: How Hospitals Protect Employees, Patients, and Visitors from Gun Violence
- Innovation Center Director Shares Insights with Capital Region Healthcare Leaders
- Is Single Payer the Answer?
- Mandated Nurse Staffing Ratios are the Wrong Approach to Patient Safety
- Gotta Know the Rules
- Protecting a Vision
- Say YES to Healthcare Stabilization
- Healthcare Shortfall Fund is Prudent Planning
Don't Miss a Post
Receive notifications when HANYS publishes new posts.