January 18, 2017
Statement by HANYS President Regarding the Governor’s Budget Proposal
Governor Cuomo’s Executive Budget proposes a series of initiatives that will help hospitals and healthcare institutions deal with difficult challenges in 2017.
These initiatives include:
- $500 million for capital investment in hospitals and healthcare facilities;
- a comprehensive regulatory modernization program, for which the catalyst was a joint HANYS-Department of Health listening tour last summer;
- continued operational and transformational funding for distressed, rural, and other hospitals, as well as a funding commitment next year for hospitals to launch value-based payment models;
- continuation of critical hospital and healthcare funding initiatives through the extension of the Health Care Reform Act (HCRA); and
- continued support to healthcare providers for the state-mandated minimum wage increases.
In addition to previously-announced wellness programs, there are life science initiatives and a proposal to lower the cost of prescription drugs.
HANYS applauds the Governor for all these ideas and initiatives––which are important as hospitals and health systems, the state, and its citizens face the potential wide-ranging implications of the repeal of the Affordable Care Act.
HANYS is reviewing proposals that could direct Medicaid funding away from healthcare, and proposals that could reduce funding to hospitals and health systems. HANYS will continue to advocate for broad-based Medicaid payment adequacy and ensuring sufficient funding is directed toward financially struggling hospitals.
We will work closely with the Governor’s office and legislative leaders on these and other critical initiatives.