Ventilator-Associated Pneumonia (VAP)
HANYS, through funding from the Department of Health (DOH) Epidemiology Division, coordinated the ventilator-associated pneumonia (VAP) prevention project to further reduce the incidence of ventilator-associated pneumonia.
The VAP prevention education project ran from October 2007 to March 2008 and included:
- Regional Educational Conferences: This VAP prevention education will be provided in smaller groups to encourage an exchange of knowledge and ideas, and limit travel.
- Two Follow-up Teleconferences: One in January and one in March, for problem solving, further sharing, education, and analysis.
- VAP Prevention Innovations--Next Steps Audio/Video Conference: Targeted for early 2008, this will include a national speaker who will discuss further advancements in VAP prevention.
- Physician Advisors: Two physician advisors will be available by telephone or e-mail for questions and problem solving during the project.
- Data: The DOH grant requires that VAP project data be entered into the National Nosocomial Infection Surveillance System, now under the National Health and Safety Network (NHSN). HANYS will also provide a teleconference on NHSN VAP definitions and data entry (numerator/denominator pages) featuring Mary Andrus, R.N., C.I.C. from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.